Monday, December 23, 2013

Tulsa Rib Company - Catering

Opening up this blog has allowed many to make suggestions to me regarding where to find the food I crave.   One that came to my attention recently is Tulsa Rib Company.  Being burned in the past by hype, I was not exceedingly excited to try this place regardless of the influence of co-works and Yelp review available online. 

I received an opportunity to try this place via a catered event.  The set-up staff was pleasant and seemed to have everything in order.  I walked outside to check out their methods and was dismayed to find raw chicken on a grill instead of in a smoker.  I found myself deciding not to allow this to hinder my opinion of the ribs, but I was wavering nonetheless. 

Still feeling slighted by knowing I am having grilled chicken and not smoked chicken I load up a plate of coleslaw, barbeque baked beans, potato salad, dinner roll, beef ribs, and a chicken quarter.  The potato salad was mustard based without being too acidic, though I am not certain Tulsa Rib Company made it themselves.  The potato salad tasted like any you could buy from a wholesale club.  The coleslaw and barbeque baked beans reminded me of the potato salad.  Neither was unpleasant, but I felt I could find the same dish just about anywhere.  I did not notice any meat in the beans, which always disappoints me.  Speaking of meat, I was not at all impressed.  The chicken was certainly grilled.  The ribs tasted like they came out of a crockpot.  BOO!  The sauce, again, tasted store bought. 

Tulsa Rib Company is another high hype low delivery Southern California barbeque place.  Although the meat was moist and tender, it was not barbeque.  The meat was merely prepared using a barbeque.

I have no review of the restaurant itself as I did not go to the restaurant.  The review is based on my catered food experience.  

The following recommendations would make a difference:
Smoke the meat
Add smoked meat to the beans
Make your own sides with a signature flair


Ambiance:  n/a
Food taste/quality:  1.5
Overall review:  1.5


The above rating is based on overall appeal of the ambiance, food quality, and food taste on a scale of 0-5.0.  5.0 is the best rating possible

No comments:

Post a Comment