Thursday, November 21, 2013

Joey's Barbeque Chino, CA

I have to start by saying this place is world famous.  My dad discovered this place by word of mouth while in St. Croix, USVI.  I found myself in Chino by chance and made a point to stop into Joey's Barbecue knowing any other day would be a trip to specifically visit.  

I dropped in around 4pm on a Saturday and the joint was nearly packed.  Only a few small tables remained.  Thankfully, I was a party of one on this day.  The hostess who sat be quickly disappeared and was replace with a friendly waiter.  Now, I know what you are thinking, "Friendly service in California?  This woman is lying."  I swear.  The waiter was friendly.  Not only friendly but also helpful.  I did not want for anything the whole time I was there.  The waiter asked if I had been there before.  Then, he told me as long as I wanted food to keep the flag up at my table.  I never raised the flag, because I did not have to.  The service was great.  I swear it was. 

The building smelled of smoke and had a rustic appeal.  Overall, the dining area was comfortable and ruggedly charming.  Nearby patrons were talking about how much they loved the food.  I over heard one man tell someone he told a friend he was in Chino.  The friend insisted he visit Joey's after he already arrived.  At this point I am eager to eat to see what all the fuss is about. 

I ordered lemonade, pulled pork, baked beans, and potato salad. My order came out quickly. The portions were more than I knew I could eat.  I quickly forgot about the flag at my table knowing I would not need it. 

The meat was amazing.  The smoke ring was visible and the flavor took me back to Texas. The sauce was not my desire but was not bad.  With great meat who needs sauce anyway?  The baked beans had some smoky meat inside.  A nice and apparently unexpected touch in these parts.  The potato salad was nothing to write home about but was satisfying. 

My suggested improvements would include:  add an array of sauces to the menu.  Barbecue is rarely a one-size fits all endeavor. 

Ambiance:  5.0
Food taste/quality:  4.0
Overall review:  4.5

The above rating is based on overall appeal of the ambiance, food quality, and food taste on a scale of 0-5.0.  5.0 is the best rating possible

No comments:

Post a Comment